Friday, August 1, 2014

My season thus far...

2014 has been a strange season for me. I've struggled with fitness and with making trainings. I've picked up tendonitis in my left Achilles (aka old man injury 1) which I haven't had to deal with before (although as injuries go, it's a pretty easy one to placate) and I have have missed a couple of key tournaments too, through weddings and work commitments.

As a result, I've found it hard to get any momentum in terms of playing at a consistently high level and have drifted down the pecking order in the team - something relatively likely to happen, especially with the impressive talent coming through and the ever-developing speed of the game. I won't be playing at EUCR-SW and will likely miss All-Irelands too so WUCC represents the pinnacle of my season (except the mighty Cork Open) which in some ways makes sense, it being the World Championships but in other ways is odd, given it isn't really the focus of our season. (Ranelagh is committeed to competing at 3 UK Tour events, at the All-Ireland Championships and at EUCR - 3 big undertakings!).

So after a disappointing few months it is off to Lecco for a gruelling week in an unforgiving division and with few of the players of my age and experience alongside me...So optimistic!   ;)  All that said, the team is strong and with each tournament the new, younger players are learning. You can see and feel the development week by week as players hone skills and grow in stature and confidence. The athleticism across the squad is something we didn't see in Irish club teams previously and bodes well. The attitude is a good one too - focused, determined but enjoyable. It's going to be a great week and I'm relishing the chance to face up against teams we don't see in Europe. Might not get another bash at this so time to enjoy it! #Moretti


No comments:

Post a Comment