Saturday, August 2, 2014

Lecco at last!

So after all the build up, the rumours, the excitement, the worry, the hard work and some travel arrangements that pretty much worked out I found myself in Lecco. It looks like a pretty place, with typical Italian architecture and a laid back style of life only found in Italy. The mountains surrounding the town look stunning and with the lake near by it's easy to see how you could spend a week here and not play Ultimate!
 I arrived by train and with no sign of the people I was meant to meet ended up going looking for a lift at the Captain's Meeting. I found myself listening in on the WFDF explaining the role of the brand new Game Advisors. Apparently a club from each of the nations present will play a game with the GAs supervising (not sure if thats the word!). I for one like the idea and would welcome some sort of official to help us referee our sport better. There have been too many times I've suffered at the hands of players bending the rules...
From there we went to the stadium, having witnessed a short and seemingly hastily scrambled together parade, and watched the Opening Ceremony and the very first game of the tournament. It was a fun spectacle - a big crowd, a perfect stadium, lots of colour and noise, some bursts of sunshine and two teams who looked relatively evenly matched once the early game nerves settled. Most importantly to me I got to see lots of old friends and catch up with them. And, the feeling of why we are here sank in a little further. Seeing famous players from across the world with their teams, and jerseys from as far and wide as New Zealand and South Africa, got me excited. We've a big week ahead as a team and I've a good feeling that we can do something special.
We play at 11am local time tomorrow against a strong Canadian team in Mephisto. I'm feeling pumped and can't wait to get a taste of the action. Come on Ranelagh!

No comments:

Post a Comment